Thursday, October 11, 2007

Swallow:Passion

Although I don’t remember his name… I do recall dark, wild un- kept hair, and a face permanently stained from playing in the dirt. His brown eyes stared, as he whispered.. I like you, will you be my girlfriend? Boyfriends and Girfriends were a new phenomena in first grade but according to my parents Only grown ups, should have real relationships. Shocked by this strange boy. I found myself blurting the first thought that came to mind. If you like me , then prove it. He didnt replied back but instead reached down to grab a pebble near his shoe placing it in his mouth, he then swallowed. What kind of boy would eat rocks? Composure crumbling I started walking away. . His voice called after me, Hey. Wait, I just swallowed that rock for you. Why don’t you want to be my girlfriend? Silence was the reply I gave. What could i say?

How often do you and I deny passion, in an attempt to avoid pain? All the while knowing our dreams, those we love, and the directions were given comes from swallowing rocks. Its here that we are proven before God......transforming pain into.... passion

To love at all is to be vulnerable. To love anything your heart will certainly be wrung and possibly broken. If you want to make sure of keeping it intact, you must give your heart to no one. Not even an animal. Wrap it carefully with hobbies and luxuries, avoid all entenglements and keep it safe in the casket of your selfishness . But in the casket-safe, dark, motionless, airless-it will change. It will become unbreakable, impenetrable, irredeemable
~ C.S. Lewis

2 comments:

Glory Revealed said...

Great post Ashley! That is so true. You have to be vulnerable to love, to have passion, to really live.

Casey Raquel said...

I love that quote from C.S. Lewis. I read that a few years ago and it really made me think. It's hard to become vulnerable again...but how can we ever savour the gift of love again if we don't take that leap of faith? :)