Wednesday, September 12, 2007

15 dollar beauty : Grace

Dolphins are every where in my room. And, no I don’t mean my room is full of water, and a mammal with a tail has decided to take up residents next to my bed. But, what you will find is tons of dolphin objects and a gigantic size fan displaying a underwater world view…. My crazy, Dolphin room obsession began, on a bright spring day with Disney land magic.

After the rides, laughter, and too much chocolate… our family trip was nearing a close. My parents decided, now was the perfect opportunity to teach their kids the value of money. They gave both Jordan and I a spending allowance. We could pick out any trinket from the over priced Disneyland store.. that was worth 25 dollars. Jordan grabbed a cup. She announced proudly there would be enough money left over to have her name engraved on the glass. Time was running out we need to leave. My parents encouraged me to “ just pick something”. I wondered aimlessly until I saw the beautiful object. Light from the window touch the Glass Dolphin riding on a wave. It sparked, like liquid dew from the mist of a cold morning. My breath caught, while I stood awaiting my dads verdict. He took the item from me and turned it over glancing at the price. I'm sorry Ashley this is 40 dollars, your short 15 ,find something else.

I tried to be brave, I tried not to cry, as I walked back to look at my other options. Who was i tricking? I have always been someone desperately in love with beauty, trapped in a logical mind. I get lost in sunsets. For years as a child my goal was to capture a butterfly.If only I could see how the wings were drawn on paper. Try as i might the romantic child with in, was greater than the fear of disappointing my parents.

Running back to my Dad, I pleaded my case. This girl, who never, wants to disturbed the peace, was breaking it for all she was worth. My Dad gave his answer, setting aside his “money teaching lesson” he instead purchased a glass dolphin for his daughter. Its here, years later looking at my obsessed room, I'm once again reminded of the magic Disney land holds, a fathers love…. And Gods grace to exchange my 15 dollar shortages for his beauty.

1 comment:

Casey Raquel said...

that's so sweet ashley! It's nice when our earthly father's reflect our heavenly fathers. it's rare these days. you are very lucky! love you lots and lots!!!