Friday, September 7, 2007

Sack of junk : Giving

The brown paper sack was too heavy. It felt ruff beneath my small hands.. How could only a few feet grow magically into a mile, because of the rocks, ponytail holders, and paper clips, in my paper sack? It was Christmas Eve, when Santa clause was alive and breathing, waiting to eat the cookies Jordan and I would set out for him. One half of the bag was slightly dragging, Jordan struggled to keep her end of the bag from breaking. So there we walked into the living room, each carrying the gift between us. .With flare the bag was dropped in front of my parents. Shock registered on their faces. What is this? my dad asked . well ummm this is the gift Jordan and I got you and mom, I answered. Tears filled my mom’s eyes, as her and my dad began looking at the assortment of junk.

The idea had emerged with Jordan and I getting in the Christmas spirit. We wanted to wrap a present for my parents . But, the problem was we had no way of remedying the situation. Without money or someone to drive us we were at a loss…. And then suddenly brilliance snapped us into attention. Sneaking into the kitchen we pull out an old brown grocery bag and dumped all of our favorite trinkets into the sack; Favorite items included : ponytail holders, colored markers , rocks… The labor of love, ended with a bow swiped from a present under the tree. By the praised we received after the gift was open, I knew my parents loved my blue marker just as much as I did.

Thinking back to that Christmas it makes me wonder .. ..why do I do want to give drive down to the store and give God a real gift, when its my junk that brings tears to his eyes? Jordan and I got more thanks and hugs from our parents in that moment, then in any Christmas that followed. . We gave our very best… sacrifice . And, while God ( like our parents) may not have much use for a ponytail holder, I’m sure he smiles at anyone willing to sacrifice their last hair tie.

God loves a cheerful giver.

No comments: